Effective as of May 5, 2021
Welcome to the Flo Secret Chats — a safe digital community where you can anonymously discuss health- and wellness-related topics as well as get support from millions of other Flo users worldwide. It’s a cool place to share personal experiences and ultimately gain a broader sense of what others like you are going through. Our wish is for you to find and share supportive and useful information while having fun along the way.
These guidelines apply to all user-generated content and activity in our Secret Chats community. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines below and help us keep things safe and enjoyable for everyone. Keep in mind that our rules may differ from those of familiar social media platforms.
The Secret Chats Basics
Secret Chats members talk about a lot of sensitive topics. We understand that there are different approaches to these topics and that people may have different opinions. But don't forget — there is always a real person on the other side of the screen who may need your support. Let’s respect each other and have conversations that honor our humanity.
Be civil and don’t spread hate.
Debates among community members are allowed as long as the conversations remain on-topic, positive, and respectful. We encourage lively, emotional conversations and sharing personal experiences without judgment or hate. If a thread becomes too toxic, we reserve the right to delete the whole discussion, even if the original comment is acceptable and respectful.
Keep things relevant.
When you want to ask for advice, share an experience, or just rant, please choose the proper place to post. This way, other members will discover your comment much faster so you’ll receive relevant and helpful feedback! If you don’t do this, your comment may be considered off-topic and deleted by moderators.
Secret Chats Guidelines
1. No politics or preaching, please. Flo Secret Chats is not the proper place to discuss or debate politics or polarizing social issues; nor is it the place for religious preaching. We strive to respect everyone’s freedom of speech while ensuring that everyone feels welcome here. This means that political and preaching comments will be removed to avoid unwanted anxiety and maintain a safe space for everyone.
2. No hate, either. We don’t tolerate racism, sexism, homophobia, or other hate speech here at Flo. Hate has no place in our community — members are here to find and get support, share their personal experiences, and ask for advice, not to be judged or criticized. Attacking others for their beliefs and forcing your views on others is not acceptable in the Secret Chats. Any comments that promote or approve violence against individuals or groups based on race or ethnicity, religious beliefs, disability, age, nationality, sexual orientation, gender identity, political views, health status, or appearance, will be deleted, as will comments revealing someone’s personal information, inciting harassment, threats, personal attacks, or featuring abusive or predatory behavior.
3. Don’t overuse vulgar and profane speech. We aim to make Secret Chats acceptable for everyone. For the sake of clarity, we may delete comments with an overwhelming amount of swearing and obscenity. Please, don’t use the Secret Chats for anonymous sexting — there are other services for that. We want to emphasize that the primary purpose of Secret Chats is to provide the unique opportunity to talk openly about health-related topics, find support, and maybe even learn something new.
4. We encourage posting to the most appropriate topic possible. If you’d like to ask for advice, you can search through other members’ comments — someone may have already asked your question or discussed similar concerns. Each chat has a specific purpose that defines community members’ expectations of that chat. Try to avoid multiposting in different discussions — it may be considered spam and, therefore, deleted.
5. Everyone dislikes spam: So do we. That is why we will delete any comments that are commercial or spam-like, including, but not limited to: self-promotion with links to social media accounts, websites, emails, or phone numbers; repetitive posting of the same content or links; selling or distributing any products; promoting petitions of any kind; or solicitation of funds for any reason. We may also delete comments that use excessive spacing.
6. Sharing private information is prohibited. Anonymity is one of the essential values that define the Flo Secret Chats as a safe place. We get it — sometimes, you wish to make friends or chat in person, which is why you may consider sharing your personal info. Please, don’t. We would also ask you to be careful when posting images, since they may contain information that can help identify you, individuals, or their private property. Just make sure you don’t post any facial images, birthmarks, tattoos, or other identifiers (such as location, name, surname, or ID numbers). This means that private information will be removed to avoid exposing anyone’s identity and to maintain a safe space for everyone.
7. Don’t promote illegal activities. To ensure that people of all backgrounds feel safe and comfortable here, we must respect local and international laws and remove comments that advocate and promote illegal activities, such as drugs, underage drinking, criminal activity, animal abuse, terrorism, and others. To further ensure everyone’s sense of safety, we will remove all images of weapons.
8. We protect children's safety. That’s why you need to be at least 13 years old (16 for EU residents) to use the Flo app and contribute to our community. We do not intentionally collect information about children, and we will ban you from Flo and delete your account if we find out that you are younger than 13 (16 for EU residents).
9. No cheating! The age you put in the app defines your Secret Chats experience because we offer different content for teenagers and adults. If we find out that you put in the wrong age to fool the system, your ability to participate in Secret Chats will be restricted.
10. Fact-checking. Our team evaluates certain comments to ensure that medically-related statements and information are backed up by reputable, recognized, and deeply credentialed health experts and medical or educational institutions. We focus on removing misleading and false information that will likely bring direct harm and/or put our users in danger or at risk in some way. Our primary goal is to reduce the amount of misinformation and promote healthy discussions that will improve the general awareness of our users.
You can report abusive comments or other inappropriate behavior. If you notice something offensive, please don’t engage; use the “Report” button to submit a comment for review by our Moderation Team, who will determine whether there’s a violation of our Secret Chats Guidelines. You may also report abusive or inappropriate comments by sending an email with attached screenshots to email@example.com or by contacting us via the “Help” menu in the App.
Naturally, you might not like or agree with everything you see in the Secret Chats. Please do not use the “Report” button to express your disapproval.
To protect our community, we reserve the right to delete any inappropriate or irrelevant comments without prior notification if said comment violates our guidelines. We also reserve the right to issue suspensions and other enforcement actions. Depending on the nature of the violation, we may take a range of actions, including comment removal, a warning, a short-term suspension, and, for more serious offenses, a permanent suspension.
Remember, when we review reports for violations, we consider several factors, including the intent and context, any potential harm to the community, legal obligations, etc. We do not remove comments based on reports alone; we always apply our guidelines in every situation.
A warning is a notification for specific violations and other situations. When we delete a comment, we may send a warning associated with a particular rule violation. Repetitive violations of the same nature may result in a suspension.
A short-term suspension results in an inability to comment in Secret Chats for seven days. You may still use the App and read Secret Chats conversations while suspended. After the suspension is complete, you will be able to comment in Secret Chats again. We record past violations and multiple suspensions over time may lead to a permanent suspension.
For the most serious and/or repeated violations, we will instantly and indefinitely suspend your account. With a permanent suspension, you may still use the App and read Secret Chats conversations, though your ability to comment will never be restored unless the permanent ban was misapplied. Please see the appealing process below.
Appealing a Suspension or Comment Removal
In your appeal, include the reason you believe you were incorrectly suspended.
After your appeal has been submitted, you will receive an auto-response to the email registered to your Flo account acknowledging that we’ve received your request.
Once your appeal has been reviewed, we will reply by email to notify you of your appeal and account(s) status. This will complete the appeal process.
Remember that appeals are reviewed in the order they are received, and we do not guarantee that suspensions will be overturned. Only the owner of the account in question may appeal an account suspension. Abusing or spamming the appeals process may lead to additional enforcement actions.
Further Information and Resources
If you have suggestions or questions about any aspect of participation in the Flo Secret Chats, please contact our Support Team at firstname.lastname@example.org or via the “Help” menu in the App.