Flo is an AI-powered health and wellbeing app for women and girls, which supports them during their entire reproductive period. Using cutting-edge technology, we combine scientific knowledge, clinical experience, and the power of community to improve the health and wellbeing of every girl and woman worldwide every day. Already 36 million women and girls use Flo monthly in order to make healthier choices and live a well-balanced life, with nearly 7 million in the US alone making Flo #1 period tracker for American women and girls. Since August Flo has been the most downloaded Health app in the AppStore.
Our organisation is growing and we need to hire an experienced Lead Designer for our new Design Systems Team. This role will design and operationalise our design system by partnering with designers on our Product Design and Brand and Marketing Design teams to define the look and feel as well as the interaction at Flo. You will work closely with the rest of the design system team to ensure we have a decentralised model that supports our designers and engineers to create amazing UI.
What will you do?
As the Lead Designer for Design Systems, you’ll work closely with the Product and Engineering teams to implement our systems across product offerings, while constantly looking to assess, organise and improve them.
You’ll partner with:
- the Product design team to design beautiful consumer experiences,
- the Growth and Brand to evolve and apply our brand
- Visual design and localisation to create a smooth process and ensure the right assets are used in the right way at the right time
- Design Operations to define and implement a structured curation and contribution process.
You will own the design system roadmap at Flo, lead the development and delivery of our design systems, while also driving the implementation of our brand in our product offerings as well. Working with the rest of the design systems team you will design and define interaction patterns through components, documentation, and prototypes and then manage the implementation of the design system across the product ecosystem.
Responsibilities will also include:
- Driving the evolution of Flo’s visual language and interaction pattern library.
- Working with developers to maintain and create new components for our library.
- Collaborating with designers across teams to curate new aesthetic and patterns.
- Partner with Product, Brand and Visual designers in using the design system.
- Work with User Research to test as needed to ensure usability and consistency.
- Maintain usage documentation alongside the Design Ops team.
- Define Flo’s accessibility standards with the Product and Design Leadership team.
- Ensuring our core principles in visual style, typography, spacing, motion and interaction models are adhered to.
- Work with engineering to create a robust backend driven UI.
- Minimum 5–10 years working as a designer, ideally with experience of working on a design team that has scaled up.
- A good eye for detail that you apply to your own work as well as the team’s output.
- Experience of creating design systems from scratch and also at scale.
- Knowledge and experience of design processes and toolkits across Product Design, Brand and Marketing Design, and User Research.
- Strong experience in writing clear, coherent and robust documentation.
- Can think both creatively and systematically.
- A good understanding of technical aspects of mobile (iOS and Android) and web applications.
- Excellent team management skills when it comes to hiring, nurturing and creating opportunity for the team members.