Emily Jamea, PhD
“I am of the belief that we are all worthy of meaningful sexual experiences. I find it incredibly rewarding to be a part of people’s sexual healing journeys. It is my mission to help people create connection and cultivate passion.”
- President and clinical director of REVIVE Therapy & Healing, TX, US, 2012–present
- Texas section leader at the American Association of Sexuality Educators, Counselors, and Therapists (AASECT), 2010–2016
- Psychotherapist at Pelvic Health/Physical Therapy Center, 2011–2012
- Psychotherapist at the Center for Healthy Sexuality, 2010–2011
- Expert featured in O: The Oprah Magazine, CNN, BBC, NBC, USA Today, Women’s Health, Men’s Health, and more
- Host of “The Love & Libido Podcast”
- Writer of a monthly sex column for HealthyWomen.org
- Regular speaker at private and public events in the United States and around the globe
- AASECT-certified sex therapist
- PhD in clinical sexology from the International Institute of Clinical Sexology, Miami Shores, FL, US, 2017
- Training in eye movement desensitization and reprocessing and emotionally focused couples therapy
- Master’s degree in counseling from St. Edward’s University, Austin, TX, US, 2009
- Bachelor’s degree in psychology with honors from the University of Texas at Austin, TX, US, 2007
- “The Role of Sensuality, Imagination, and Curiosity in High and Optimal Sexual Satisfaction.” Sexual and Relationship Therapy, vol. 27, no. 2, 2022, doi: 10.1080/14681994.2020.1714023.
- “Sexual Satisfaction: Exploring the Role of Flow.” Journal of Sex & Marital Therapy, vol. 47, no. 5, 2021, doi: 10.1080/0092623X.2021.1898503.
My Journey in Sex Therapy
Growing up, sex wasn’t a taboo topic in my home. My father, who worked as an obstetrician and gynecologist, and progressive mother taught me that my body and my sexuality were nothing to be ashamed of. But as I got older, I realized that many of my peers were raised with different values and had anxieties surrounding sex and relationships. I was the one they came to for advice on these topics, and this began my journey into sex therapy.
Over the past 15+ years, I’ve worked with individuals and couples to overcome relationship and sexual hurdles so they can enjoy more meaningful lives. Although the work is challenging, it’s also incredibly rewarding. Helping someone overcome sexual trauma, learning that a couple previously unable to have intercourse due to pain is now expecting their first child, and bringing a couple closer together following relationship betrayal are all aspects of my work that make me so proud of what I do.
Through my travels around the world, I’ve noticed that people in developing countries seem to find happiness and meaning in a way that many of my clients couldn’t, despite their abundance of resources. Inspired, I began guiding my clients toward new ways of finding meaning in their lives and relationships.
On top of my clinical work, I do as much writing and speaking as I can to share what I know with the world. I believe that by fostering greater connection and passion, we can find greater authenticity, deeper meaning, and optimal joy in our lives. I’m so excited to be part of Flo’s medical board to share my knowledge on sex and relationships with people of all ages.
The greatest joy in my life is my family. I’m happily married with two children.
Flo Advisory Board of 100+ Doctors, Scientists, and Health Experts
We break down complex medical topics into accessible and digestible information that empowers readers to take action and prioritize their own well-being. Our team of Medical and Scientific Advisors is made up of over 100 certified health experts from a variety of disciplines who ensure that every piece of content we release is medically accurate, understandable, and up to date with the latest scientific findings. We rely on medical guidelines from international health organizations and get information from academic institutions and peer-reviewed articles, all of which is fully described in our Flo Editorial Process and Standards.