Octavia Wilks, MBChB, MPH
“I am passionate about harnessing the power of technology to improve the health of populations and to empower people to make the best choices for them.”
- Clinical digital health clinician, Babylon Health, London, UK, 2021–2022
- Clinical artificial intelligence (AI) fellow, Babylon Health, London, UK, 2020–2021
- Doctor in accident and emergency department, St Mary’s Hospital, Imperial College Healthcare National Health Service (NHS) Trust, London, UK, 2018–2020
- Foundation program doctor, Health Education England, North West Thames, Leeds, UK, 2016–2018
- Certified in advanced life support by the Resuscitation Council UK, 2016–2020
- Registered with the General Medical Council, UK, since 2017
- Volunteer committee member, Sexpression:UK, a national organization delivering sex education to children in secondary schools, London, UK, 2012–2016
- Master’s of public health from the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, UK, 2019
- Medical degree (MBChB) from the University of Sheffield, UK, 2016
- Bachelor of Science in anatomical science from the University of Bristol, UK, 2010
“Levels of DNA Methylation Vary at CpG Sites across the BRCA1 Promoter, and Differ According to Triple Negative and ‘BRCA-like’ Status, in Both Blood and Tumour DNA.” PLoS One, vol. 11, no. 7, 2016, pp. e0160174.
My Journey in Medicine
My career began in the UK NHS, working in a number of different medical specialties, including emergency medicine, general practice, geriatrics, acute medicine, and otolaryngology. Driven by a desire to turn my focus from the individual patient to populations, I undertook a master’s in public health at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. There, I explored my passion for using quantitative research methods in the field of noncommunicable disease and health promotion through my dissertation on diabetes risk prediction in Kenya.
I’m very interested in AI and see great potential in the power of big data to solve real-world problems. I want to devote my career to combining my knowledge of clinical decision-making with advanced AI solutions. At Babylon Health, I worked as part of the digital clinical health team to maintain the performance of the symptom checker and ensure its medical content was based on the most up-to-date guidance.
At Flo, I am excited to use my knowledge of clinical practice and my product skills to improve the lives of women and people who menstruate, and I feel that there has never been such an important moment to put women’s health issues center stage.
I love dogs and have a very mischievous German shepherd called Caesar!
Flo Advisory Board of 100+ Doctors, Scientists, and Health Experts
We break down complex medical topics into accessible and digestible information that empowers readers to take action and prioritize their own well-being. Our team of Medical and Scientific Advisors is made up of over 100 certified health experts from a variety of disciplines who ensure that every piece of content we release is medically accurate, understandable, and up-to-date with the latest scientific findings. We rely on medical guidelines from international health organizations and get information from academic institutions and peer-reviewed articles, which is fully described in our Flo Editorial Process and Standards.