Product
Product
Health Library
Health Library
Calculators
Calculators
About
About

    Hair Loss During Pregnancy: How to Take Care of Hair Loss in Pregnancy

    Updated 06 October 2020 |
    Published 09 December 2019
    Fact Checked
    Tanya Tantry, MD
    Reviewed by Tanya Tantry, MD, Obstetrician & Gynecologist, Medical Consultant at Flo
    Flo Fact-Checking Standards

    Every piece of content at Flo Health adheres to the highest editorial standards for language, style, and medical accuracy. To learn what we do to deliver the best health and lifestyle insights to you, check out our content review principles.

    If you’re pregnant and experiencing hair loss, you may be wondering whether there is a connection. Though being pregnant does not necessarily mean you will lose hair (you may actually find it grows more easily), hair loss early in pregnancy can be related to hormones, stress, or underlying health issues. Read on to learn about hair loss and how to both treat and prevent it during pregnancy. 

    Do you lose hair during pregnancy?

    Women notice a number of changes to their hair during pregnancy. Some lose hair, and some notice their hair becomes shinier and stronger. This is caused by higher levels of estrogen, which can stimulate hair follicles. Others may find that their normally curly hair becomes straight or vice versa. 

    Take a quiz

    Find out what you can do with our Health Assistant

    Some women do experience hair loss during pregnancy, noticing that their hair is thinning or falling out more. This can begin during pregnancy and continue postpartum. Hair loss can be concerning, and while it is usually a temporary result of shifting hormones or the normal stresses of pregnancy, hair loss in pregnancy can also be a sign of a more serious medical condition.  

    Is hair loss a sign of pregnancy?

    hair loss in pregnancy

    Since hair loss more typically occurs after pregnancy and not during, it should not be considered a sign that you are pregnant. For some women, hair loss during early pregnancy may be stress- or hormone-related. 

    It’s important to understand how hair growth functions at any given time. All hair goes through a lifecycle. While 90 percent of your hair is in a growth process, the other 10 percent is in a resting phase. The resting hair falls out every two to three months, making room for new hair to grow. So some hair loss on a regular, ongoing basis happens to everyone.