Kyala Clegg, MS
“My goal is to inspire women everywhere to approach wellness from a personalized, evidence-based approach instead of following the trends. I want to help people build a stronger body, recover from muscle imbalances and mindset barriers, and create a sustainable lifestyle that puts health at the forefront.”
- Founder and CEO at The Hype Wellness, offering coaching for nutrition, exercise, and lifestyle, New York City, NY, 2018–present
- Fitness instructor organizations including Eclipse Fitness, CardioSport, Beach Body, and Columbia University, 2015–present
- Pilates and Core and Meditation Instructor at the Aerobics and Fitness Association of America, 2014–present
- Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (CSCS), Yoga Instructor, Group Exercise Instructor, Corrective Exercise Specialist (CES), Team USA weightlifting coach
- Postgraduate internship in dietetics at State University of New York at Plattsburgh, NY, 2021
- Master of Science in Nutrition and Exercise Physiology from the Teachers College at Columbia University, New York City, NY, 2020
- Bachelor of Science in Foods, Nutrition, and Wellness Studies (with honors) from the State University of New York at Plattsburgh, NY, 2018
My Journey in Fitness
When I was a young student-athlete, there was nobody around who could communicate the science of sports nutrition, recovery, and strength and conditioning in an understandable way. The only advice I received was based on research done on male athletes; there wasn’t any available evidence on how to train, eat, or recover as a female athlete: Historically, training strategies designed for the male body were also used for female training programs, disregarding the differences between male and female body chemistry. I decided to become the expert I so badly needed when I was younger.
I founded The Hype Wellness to use my expertise to help other women feel healthy and at peace with their bodies. I provide science-backed coaching on nutrition, exercise, and the mind-body connection. My philosophy focuses on reframing the relationship people have with food and exercise and finding the right balance, not following the latest diet! With each of my clients, I take a truly individualized approach, curating interventions to each person’s specific goals, needs, and lifestyle, because everybody is unique.
Outside of fitness coaching, I love working with female-led businesses to educate young women and LGBTQIA+ communities about nutrition and exercise. I’m overjoyed to join Flo as a health and exercise expert and have a positive impact on the lives of our users worldwide.
Flo Advisory Board of 100+ Doctors, Scientists, and Health Experts
We break down complex medical topics into accessible and digestible information that empowers readers to take action and prioritize their own well-being. Our team of Medical and Scientific Advisors is made up of over 100 certified health experts from a variety of disciplines who ensure that every piece of content we release is medically accurate, understandable, and up-to-date with the latest scientific findings. We rely on medical guidelines from international health organizations and get information from academic institutions and peer-reviewed articles, which is fully described in our Flo Editorial Process and Standards.