How home pregnancy tests work
The home pregnancy tests help you to determine if you’re pregnant at a very early stage.
These tests detect the presence of the “pregnancy hormone” called human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) in your urine. Your body makes this hormone when a fertilized egg is implanted in your uterus.
For the most accurate result, take the test 5–10 days after your period was due.
What reasons can lead to a negative pregnancy test?
- You are pregnant, but the test is inaccurate. Buy another one to be on safe side.
- You didn’t follow test instructions carefully.
- You are pregnant but took the test too early.
- Your ovulation was late this month and delayed the implantation date.
- You’re pregnant with twins or triplets, which made you produce very high levels of hCG for the test to detect it.
- You have developed an ectopic pregnancy and it delayed the production of hCG.
- You’re not pregnant and your period is late for some other reason.
Should you repeat a pregnancy test if you got negative result?
If you have doubts about the test result:
- Check whether you followed the test instructions precisely.
- The hCG concentration increases rapidly — doubling every two to three days, so you can retake the test a few days later
- Continue intercourse during your fertile window.
Get pregnant quicker with Flo!
Our app lets you predict ovulation with maximum precision, create BBT charts, and get all sorts of expert tips on getting pregnant!
Why is there no reason to be upset?
You've carefully prepared for pregnancy, undergone all the examinations, and the doctor has confirmed that you are perfectly healthy. But you didn't get pregnant on the first cycle?
Don’t worry! A successful conception is influenced by many factors, and this equally concerns both partners, not just the woman.
Stress, chronic lack of sleep, being overweight or underweight, and an unbalanced diet can lead to a negative pregnancy test. Also, maybe you just did not hit the ovulation period correctly or the cycle was anovulatory.
Follow a regular sleep schedule and eat a healthy diet to improve your chances of successful conception in the next month. Keep trying, and you will succeed!