Pooping while having sex: potential reasons
Pooping during sex may occur due to a wide variety of reasons. Your body is full of semi-solid and liquid material, and when you let your body relax during sex, these liquids may leak out. When this happens, it’s very often due to the intense pleasure that you feel during sex.
The particulars of pooping while having sex are slightly complicated. For starters, “during sex” can mean many things, including kissing, anal sex, vaginal intercourse, fantasy role play, or oral sex. Pooping during sex can occur when sexual activity is only starting, during the climax, or a few minutes after it’s over.
Furthermore, you are more likely to experience the feeling of needing to pass stool during certain kinds of sex and sexual positions. For instance, the chances of pooping during sex may increase when you have sex in a position that puts pressure on the abdomen. Vaginal penetration or vaginal intercourse in certain sexual positions may also make you feel that your bowel, especially the rectum, (which is the lower part of the large intestine) is full.
The possibility of pooping during sex also depends upon your body. Due to multiple issues including surgery, disease, stress, or medicine, your control over your bowel function may decrease. This may increase your chances of pooping during sex.
The chances of pooping during sex may increase when you have sex in a position that puts pressure on the abdomen.
One of the most common causes of pooping during sex is damage to the muscles surrounding the anus. Nerve injuries (especially to the nerves that control your anal sphincter or opening) can also cause pooping during sex. Such forms of damage may occur due to childbirth, certain diseases such as multiple sclerosis, inflammatory bowel disease, and diabetes, or constant straining while passing stool due to constipation or diarrhea.
Bowel incontinence can also occur if the rectum protrudes through the vagina or when the veins in your rectum swell, causing hemorrhoids. This condition can keep your anus from closing completely, which can allow stool to leak out.
Bowel incontinence may especially happen during orgasm, when there is a contraction of muscles and your body tenses and then relaxes in a short time.
If you start having sexual intercourse with an already full bowel, there is a chance that you may poop during sex whether you have temporary or permanent loss of bowel control. This may especially happen at the time of orgasm, when there is a contraction of muscles and your body tenses and then relaxes in a short time.
How to avoid pooping during sex
If pooping during sex occurs only once, then it may not indicate any significant health problem. If you have a concern, you should discuss it with a physician.
The following things may reduce the possibility of pooping during sex:
- Before having sex, go to the bathroom to empty your bowels. The less liquid and solid waste is present in your body, the less likely they’ll come out. If your bowel routine is regular, then you may want to plan to have sex shortly after emptying your bowels.
- You may also experiment with sexual positions that don’t put excessive pressure on the abdomen (such as woman on top, or spooning).
- To do all this, talk to your partner about sex. Much of the anxiety related to pooping during sex may come from the fact that people usually don’t discuss sex in their relationships. If you are going to have sex, but you have less than normal control over your bowel movements, discussing it with your sexual partner is one of the best ways to decrease anxiety. Talking doesn’t only help sort out the situation — it can also make the overall experience of having sex more pleasurable.
- Drinking plenty of fluids, eating fiber-rich foods, and exercising can reduce constipation.
- Avoid straining during bowel movements, which can weaken the anal sphincter muscles or damage nerves, possibly leading to fecal incontinence.
- Do pelvic floor exercises to improve bowel control.
If your problem is caused by a medical issue, your physician will diagnose the problem and advise you on the appropriate treatment to help you control your bowel movements.
Wrapping up on pooping while having sex
Pooping while having sex may stop many individuals from having sex with their partners. However, there are things you may do to reduce the possibility of pooping during sex.
It’s a good idea to see your doctor, especially if pooping during sex is frequent or severe, or if it causes emotional distress.
Going to the bathroom before having sex, sex positions that don’t put pressure on the abdomen, and discussing the issue with your partner can all help. It’s a good idea to see your doctor, especially if pooping during sex is frequent or severe, or if it causes emotional distress.